egret

egret

Friday 22 March 2013

21-03-13 Staines Reservoir

I decided to visit Staines Reservoir en route to work and although it is now early spring condition were very wintry with a cold biting wind constantly blowing. Braving these condition I headed along the causeway and on reaching the lower fencing I discovered an adult Black-necked Grebe on the south basin. Coming into summer plumage the bird was constantly diving for food eventually ending up close enough for me to take a record shot with the camera. I then continued east along the causeway stopping at the second rest area. It was here while scanning the north basin I eventually discovered the immature Great Northern Diver being followed by a much smaller Red-throated Diver. Both birds swam in unison although now and again the Great Northern Diver would circle keeping its smaller cousin at a comfortable distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment