egret

egret

Friday 28 February 2014

Boat-tailed Grackles at Paradise Island update

If you had read my previous post from my recent trip to the Bahamas you would know that I found three female Boat-tailed Grackles on Paradise Island. This species is not mentioned in any of the bird guides for this region so I suspected my record to be unusual. I contacted Tony White who has confirmed my suspicions. Apparently the first Grackles were observed in the Bahamas about four years ago and to date they have been found only on Grand Bahama and New Providence (including Paradise Island). It is believed they originate from Florida and arrive on ships. The port of Nassau has daily visits from cruise liners with many arriving from Florida. There is no evidence of any breeding in the Bahamas but if there was then there is the potential of them becoming a harmful invasive species. The Boat-tailed Grackle is omnivorous and will eat anything from seeds and fruits to lizards and even small birds.      

No comments:

Post a Comment