egret

egret

Tuesday 2 September 2014

West Hyde

I paid an early afternoon visit in glorious sunshine following the footpath adjacent the new quarry road leading to the south bucks way. In the long hedge I noted 2 Whinchat that were busily feeding on insects while out on the fields 7 Red Kite and 2 Common Buzzard followed the plough picking off exposed invertebrates. Later a single Common Kestrel put in a brief appearance overhead. I then turned right and followed the footpath to the "ups and downs" where I found a single Common Chiffchaff. I then decided to have a look at the M25 drainage pond that is situated close to the footpath. Near the perimeter fence I discovered a single Northern Wheatear. I then made my way into the pond area and was pleasantly surprised to find a fairly large reed bed. I noted a few immature Common Moorhen feeding among the reeds and at least 2 Common Reed Bunting were flushed. I wish I had paid a visit earlier in the year as I would expect to find breeding Reed and Sedge Warblers here. I also discovered 3 species of Dragonlfly including a mating pair of Migrant Hawker.   

                                                                     Whinchat.

                                                            Southern Hawker (female).

                                                                  Common Darter (male).

                                                        Mating pair of Migrant Hawker.






No comments:

Post a Comment