egret

egret

Friday 30 January 2015

Great Grey Shrike at Slapton, Bucks

I decided to head off into Buckinghamshire and to the Grand Union Canal at Slapton where a long staying Great Grey Shrike has been present for well over a month now. Not knowing the area I drove along the Horton Road and parked by the canal bridge, number 120, located on the outskirts of Slapton village. I then walked down the towpath for the half mile or so to bridge number 118 where the bird had been regularly observed. I was expecting a long winded search but on my first scan of the fields I picked up the Shrike at relatively close quarters. It sat on top of a Hawthorn for some minutes surveying the area before flying off and landing on overhead cables on the far side of the field. Other species recorded included Common Buzzard (1), Common Linnet (c60), Yellowhammer (c15), Common Reed Bunting (2). Two Hare were also noted chasing each other around the arable fields.

                           A record shot of the Great Grey Shrike, taken in poor light.

 


     

No comments:

Post a Comment