egret

egret

Thursday 18 November 2010

Return to Broadwater with Steve Carter

I spent a late morning, early afternoon visit to Broadwater with birding pal and friend Steve Carter but in all the excitement I left my bins in the car, or am I just getting old and forgetful? Still I had my scope and we arrived at the lake edge to be told by several birders that the Velvet Scoter had not been seen. I was quite confident that the bird was still present and set up the scope between both hides and after a few minutes had relocated it much to Steve's delight. The light was good and eventually Steve and I were able to make out the slight yellow to the base of the bill which I was unable to see yesterday. The pale markings to it's face and white wing-bar were also very evident. The bird was again observed busily diving for food and would remain underwater for some 30 seconds or so before reappearing. We then scoured the lake for the 2 Slavonian Grebes that were present yesterday but to no avail. Steve did find a drake Shelduck and  a total of 10 Little Grebe were observed before we called it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment