egret

egret

Wednesday 17 November 2010

Slavonian Grebe & Velvet Scoter at Broadwater Gravel Pit, Harefield

After yesterday's debacle birding in thick fog I thought I would make the most of the better conditions and headed off to Broadwater G.P, Harefield. This was a wise move as not long after arriving I connected up with a Slavonian Grebe. At first I embarrassingly miss identified the bird as Black-necked Grebe as it was a long way out and one had been reported a few days earlier at Stockers Lake. But once it decided to move in close to the bank my mistake was obvious. It's contrasting dark, flat crown and pale cheeks met at eye level and the bill was straight. The bird was very active regularly diving for food and was later pushed further along the bank by a Great-crested Grebe. I then made my way to the second hide where I panned around with my bins and eventually found the immature male Velevet Scoter that had been reported over the weekend. Present with Tufted Ducks it's larger size was obvious and it too was busy diving for food. A magic day and one I will remember for some time.

                                          Slavonian Grebe.

                                          Distant shot of Velevet Scoter.

No comments:

Post a Comment