egret

egret

Wednesday 10 April 2013

Croxley Common Moor and the Withey Beds LNR

A busy afternoon at the moor where dogs and their walkers seemed to be everywhere although bird life was still very evident. A total of 8 Chiffchaff were noted among the Hawthorn present along the river bank while overhead a male Common Kestrel was busily hunting. A Eurasian Sparrowhawk was briefly mobbed by a Lesser Black-backed Gull while a pair of Long-tailed Tit were observed taking nesting material back to the nest in the heart of a large bramble bush. I discovered my first butterfly for the year, a Small Tortoiseshell as I made my way back to the car.  
Then on to The Withey Beds LNR where I flushed 15 Common Snipe and a single Green Sandpiper as I made my way along the boardwalk.

                                          Colt's-foot in bloom at the Witheybeds LNR.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment