egret

egret

Tuesday 8 April 2014

Maple Cross birding

I decided to make a late morning visit to my local patch starting off at Beechen Wood. On arrival I discovered a carpet of Wood Anemone among the Bluebells that were beginning to flower. High in the canopy a Great-spotted Woodpecker called while spring arrivals in the form of Blackcap and Common Chiffchaff began to sing. A male Eurasian Nuthatch began to sing too while on the path ahead it's mate was busily searching for food. Reaching the farmland above Chalfont Road I walked the perimeter of the recently drilled field noting Eurasian Skylark displaying overhead. Common Buzzard, Red Kite and Common Kestrel were also observed in flight while on the fence line a male Yellowhammer sang. I then continued along the road reaching Bottom Wood where a pair of Mistle Thrush and a solitary Green Woodpecker showed well in the sunshine. I then arrived at Ladywalk Wood where I discovered my first Speckled Wood butterfly of the year before heading home.  


No comments:

Post a Comment