egret

egret

Wednesday 2 January 2013

WWT London Wetland Centre

A family visit to the London Wetland Centre, Barnes produced 3 new species for the year.
From the Wildside Hide a magnificent Eurasian Bittern was present in the phragmites reed and was viewed from the upper deck of the hide. Many thanks to the kind gentleman who let my ten year old daughter use his telescope to view a new lifer. I can remember how excited I was viewing my first Bittern many years ago at Stockers Lake. From the main centre I briefly noted a single Reed Bunting feeding on the seed heads of the Phragmites and a male Mandarin was observed overhead.
The pinioned Waterfowl collection held Common Goldeneye and Smew and I was fortunate to get a few close up shots to add to the blog. I also gained superb views of a pair of Little Grebe sporting winter plumage.

                                          Smew (male).

                                         Smew (female AKA redhead).
 
                                         Goldeneye (male).

                                          Goldeneye (female).

                                         Egyptian Goose (wild).

                                         Little Grebe.





No comments:

Post a Comment